Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Steelers win!!!

I've been at an emotional high the last couple days. Well, ever since Sunday to be exact. You can probably guess why.

The Steelers won the Superbowl. It was a close game, it was a dramatic game, it was an absolutely terrible and wonderful game all at the same time. If you're a Steelers fan, you know exactly what I'm talking about. It was also the best game I've ever seen in my life, edging out last years Superbowl, where the Giants ousted a perfect Patriots team. This one gets the edge because I'm a Steelers fan, and therefore this game meant so much more to me.

I've been a Steelers fan since longer than I can remember. My dad grew up loving the Steelers, in the days of Terry Bradshaw, Chuck Noll, and the 4 championship rings. I inherited my love for the black and gold from him, which is ironic because in hockey he cheers for the Canadiens and I for the Leafs, which, if you're not in the know, is a bitter, brutal rivalry (although I must admit, I've always had a soft spot for the Canadiens because of him, and cheer for them above all teams, except when the face the Leafs).

This game was so special to me because it almost seems like the process is repeating itself. Like the Steelers in the seventies when my dad was a young man, the Steelers of the new millenium seem to be one of the consistent dominant forces in the NFL. They've now won 2 of the last 4 Superbowls. They seem to have that amazing winning quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger. They have a scary good defense, always near the tops of the league, and this year they were at the top of the league. Continuously, they find ways to win games, when it matters most. Right now, they're at the top of the world.

I can only hope they continue to be as dominant as they have been. Nothing would be more amazing for me than if they repeated their success from the seventies, winning 4 Superbowls. Relive the glory days, so to speak. 

They're already on their way. 

Go Steelers


No comments: